A survey carried out by the National Association of Colleges and Employers Job Outlook 2007, employers rated communication skills, and honesty and integrity equally at the top of their list of what they look for in potential employees. Following closely behind communication, and honesty and integrity were: interpersonal skills, motivation/initiative, and strong work ethic and teamwork skills.
One thing I know about those skills was that all of them are inherent in project management, and it emphasized what people believed for years:
Project Management is a career accelerator.
What is Project Management? You May ask:
1. Project management is the art of getting things done. Project management teaches you how to make the most efficient use of resources to generate the best results in the least amount of time. At the end of every project, you capture best practices and lessons learned, creating an invaluable documentation of hits and misses. Good project managers do this on every project, and you can, too.
2. It’s all about your communication skills are not about your vocabulary. They are about how you manage your communication. Are you communicating frequently enough and with clarity? Are you communicating what is relevant? Are you communicating your successes?
3. It’s all about Team Management. When it comes to being a team player there are questions you have to answer. Do you play well with others? Do other people want to be on your project team? Are you respected? Do you listen actively to what others have to say? Good project managers know when to lead and when to get out of the way. When someone is interviewing you, you know what that person is thinking: Can I work with him? Will my team work well with her? All these questions are answered in a person’s life when he or she develops a career in project management
4. It’s about remaining calm and in control because you have a Project Agreement which has all the critical information about the project in it. You know when all the deadlines are, who is responsible for what and when, and they’ve also documented changes. Everyone wants to have someone on the team who can stay calm when a project gets rocky, and bring stability to chaos.
5. It’s about Change Management. Companies change. Deadlines change. People come and go. Good project managers know they often have to adapt their plans and document what has changed and how that impacts the entire project.
6. Its about Leading. Project management is a powerful leadership tool because it not only shows us how to keep our eye on the prize and the purpose, but it’s also about the passion to achieve and succeed. Nothing feels better than accomplishment.
We are Ritetrac Consulting Nigeria Limited.To get your career on the fast track you have to get yourself certified in Project Management.Connect with us today: Find us on Facebook (hit the ‘like’ button when you get there) Find us on Twitter(if you follow us, we will follow you back) and we can connect on LinkedIn